Thursday 2 May 2013

East Coast Barn Owl Encounter.

Looking pleased here as we were tipped off today as to where the barn owl would be hunting.



First task was to try and conceal myself by trying to break up my outline with camouflage.


It was breathtaking as the barn owl started to fly towards me and start hunting on the banking.It looks as if they can feel the wind under their wings.



Hunting was the one thing on this barn owl's mind.After a few minutes it moved on to other fields.

Waiting patiently, it returned about an hour later.This time it seemed intent on finding a suitable post to spy its prey from.




Exceptional hearing is the barn owl's most important hunting tool.One ear is slightly higher than the other.So the owl can calculate the exact position of the sound source. A single barn owl, on average, captures 2,000 mice and voles  every year.




It's heart shaped face and snowy white underparts are stunning to observe.It was recently voted Britain's favourite farmland bird.It lives for around 4 years.It's presence is heard by screeching,hissing,yapping and snoring.



After watching for about 15 minutes where it was post hopping, it launched off into a nearby dell which was quite woody.I felt this background gave it a mystical quality.




2 comments:

  1. I thought I had already left a comment here Maria....but I'm sure the chemo destroyed a million brain cells...so I'm not surprised to find I didn't. These are fabulous photos...you must be very pleased with them. The camouflage makes for an interesting shot too ! J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice.These were all evening shots.The next time up to the East Coast i am going to try early morning ---- around 6am! Not sure if i will manage it!

      Delete